It’s the first day of the new school year.
A group of nervous but excited five year olds are eyeing each other warily from their new desks in their new classroom, from behind new lunchboxes, new satchels and new pencil cases.
Fingers brush against the unfamiliar-feeling uniform, and you can be sure that some of them are already working holes in knees and sleeve cuffs. Neat ponytails are slipping, socks are falling down, and there are already smudges of dirt on some of their faces.
Today is the first day of the rest of their lives, and the world has an infinite number of opportunities open to them. Whatever their dreams are, whatever they want to learn to be, access to a good education is the key each child is presented with when they begin school, and it will open whatever doors they choose to open.
But what if children are never given that key?
A Bleaker Picture
What if there are no desks, no proper classroom, no resources? What if there is no real school, or a school with nothing to offer its students because it simply doesn’t have the funding available?
What if the child doesn’t even have shoes to walk to school in?
This isn’t some bleak, dystopian novel of a possible future. This is a very real scenario facing thousands of children today, where the word new has no place.
No new books. No new shoes. No new anything.
Reality is so much crueller than fiction.
But the future need not be so cruel.
An Invitation To Change
Vibha, through over 20 years of experience and investments of more than $10 million in 250 projects, invites you to do what you can to give these children their very own keys. We are not merely a fundraiser; we are investing in models that will ensure that education – what we feel is a natural, human right – is available to as many underprivileged children as possible.
Vibha invites you to take part in SVGives Day.
On Tuesday, 5th of May, 2015, by donating what you can to this incredible movement for change, you can contribute to the future of a child and give them the same opportunities that you had yourself.
SVGives Day Focus
Here is a taste of what we hope to achieve this year.
Target for SVGives Day – $70,000
- Sikshana – $25,000 for improving reading, writing and arithmetic levels of 5,000 children in public schools
- Alamb – $15,000 for vocational training for girls in basic computer training, garment making, and beautician courses
- Samavesh – $12,000 for providing quality education in public education system
- School van for HEARDS – $8,000 for rescuing children from hazardous working environments and providing quality education in special schools
- My New Read Shoes (Silicon Valley) – $10,000 for helping homeless and low income children look and feel confident by providing them with new shoes and clothing for school
On SVGives Day, between 12am PST and 11:59pm PST, you can contribute to these amazing causes by donating here. You can even pre-schedule donations now. Donations can be made by mobile for your convenience, and you will receive a donation receipt – donations are 100% tax free. If you have any questions the answers are here.
What We Ask Of You
Here are the five things we would love our donors to do:
- Spread the word! Tell your friends about Vibha.
- Mark your calendar for May-5 SVGives event. Donations of any size are appreciated.
- Encourage your friends to schedule their SVGives donation.
- Make a donation and/or encourage your friends to make a donation to Vibha on SVGives Day, May, 5, 2015.
- “Share” your SVGives donation on Facebook and “Like” our postings to show your support of Vibha.
Be a part of Vibha. Be a part of someone’s future.
Please give on SVGives Day.